Benefits of Dry Needling
Dry needling is a safe and effective technique used to treat various musculoskeletal conditions. Our doctors at Lakeside use this technique to treat underlying muscular “trigger points” for the management of neuromusculoskeletal pain and movement dysfunction.
What is a trigger point?
A trigger point is a local contracture or tight band in a muscle fiber that can disrupt movement function, restrict range of motion, cause local or referred pain, and cause local tenderness to touch. Studies show that dry needling is one of the fastest and most effective means to reduce myofascial pain, as compared to other conventional interventions.
Dry Needling can help:
- Reduce local and referred pain
- Decrease tightness and muscle tone
- Increase local blood circulation
- Restore function to muscles that are painful or inhibited
- Improve motor recruitment of the areas being treated
What does Dry Needling look like?
The trigger point is then identified using palpation methods, the skin is gently lifted, a thin sterile needle is inserted into the “muscle knot”.
Dry needling therapy is an individualized treatment that is dependent upon the patients’ history, location of pain, and clinical presentation. The needles may be placed deeply or superficially, for shorter or longer periods of time, depending on the patient’s condition.
Dry Needling can be augmented by the use of intramuscular electrical stimulation to further promote muscle relaxation, increase local blood circulation, and decrease muscle tone.
What is the difference between Dry Needling and Acupuncture?
Acupuncture is a technique used for balancing the flow of energy called “Qi”, which circulates between organs along channels at specific points throughout pathways in the body called “meridians”. Dry needling is focused on the evaluation of pain patterns, movement impairments, and function of the musculoskeletal system.
If you or anyone you know is suffering with myofascial pain, call 773.828.9506 to book an appointment and let one of our skilled providers assess and treat this common and painful condition.
What to take from this post:
- Dry needling is a safe and effective technique used to treat various musculoskeletal conditions including underlying muscular “trigger points” for the management of pain and dysfunction.
- Studies show that dry needling is one of the fastest and most effective means to reduce myofascial pain.
- Dry needling can help reduce pain, decrease muscle tightness, increase blood circulation, restore function, and improve motor control.
Join our newsletter for regular updates from our team of experts.
Leave A Comment